- Faculty & Staff
- Forms & Lists
The Department of Physics at Oregon Agricultural College was started in 1908 with the appointment of Dr. Willibald Weniger as Assistant Professor of Physics by President William Jasper Kerr. Prior to that time two courses in elementary physics were given by the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
Dr. Weniger received his B.A. degree in 1905, his M.A. in 1906, and his Ph.D. in 1908, all from the university of Wisconsin, and then came directly to Oregon Agricultural College. He was at that time the only Ph.D. on the staff of the College. The courses in physics offered in 1908-09 were: 1 and 2. Physics. Three credits per term. Required for students in Mechanic Arts. 3 and 4. Physics. Four credits per semester. Prerequisite: plane geometry. Required for students in Engineering, Commerce, Pharmacy, and Forestry.
The Physics offices and laboratories were located in Mechanical Hall (now Apperson Hall) where they remained until 1928 when the new Physics building (now Covell Hall) was completed. This is the way our history begins.
For more information,see links below. Some pictures need to be rotated in the adobe reader, the scanner does not always agree with what physics tells is up or down.