Updated - 2019-10-15

Graduate students on GTA or GRA's are eligible for sick leave.  Every term students accrue a certain amount of leave based on their FTE.  If you are ill, you can take this leave and if a substitute is necessary, they will be paid to replace you at the standard university rate (note: physics usually pays students more but not that much more/hr. This rate is set though. )

It works much better if you can help your instructor find someone to replace you.  The big change is that your replacement will be paid and, if you take sick leave, you will not need to make it up to them.

So, if you are sick, don't tough it out!!! take your sick leave!!! Due to the delay in formulating this policy you already have several months worth of accrual available to you.

We'd appreciate your help if you can try to identify a good replacement and inform Kelly and your lead instructor.  If you cannot identify a replacement, please tell Kelly and your instructor so that they can find someone.  If you are so sick you can't even inform anyone, we'll figure something out.  You should talk to your lead instructor for specifics on how one deals with this for each class.

So, in practice, things will work pretty much as they have before, with things going most smoothly if you have an identified replacement.  The change is that your replacement will get paid at an hourly rate (apparently negotiated by the grad union) and you are not on the hook for makeup time unless you fail to take the sick leave available to you on your time sheet.

see http://hr.oregonstate.edu/student-employment for the detailed information and http://mytime.oregonstate.edu/whats-new-sick-leave-changes-2016 for information on how this goes into your time sheet.

Heidi Schellman