Accelerated Master's Program: Frequently Asked Questions

This page contains additional information about AMP in Physics.

  • What are the logistics of establishing the necessary mentorship relationship? Answer: The process is similar to obtaining a senior thesis advisor. It is up to you to seek out a faculty member who is wiling to supervise the research that is required for the MS degree.  It is possible to continue with the same advisor as you have for the senior thesis.
  • How will the MS capstone elements work (Thesis or non-thesis project)? Answer: The MS degree requires a research experience that can be either a thesis or a non-thesis project.  In either case, expanding on an undergraduate thesis is one possible option. 
  • What is a sample program of study for AMP participants in their senior year and first year of graduate year? Answer: The simplest example is to look at the sample programs for the BS degree and the MS degree.   Overlap between the programs dictates which courses can be used in the AMP program to satisfy BS and MS requirements.  A student's program is designed by the student and the AMP advisor, with final approval by the Undergraduate Head Advisor and the Graduate Head Advisor, who also serves as AMP Coordinator.
  • What courses are recommended in the student's senior year? Answer: A highly recommended choice is to choose from this list: PH 531, PH 541, PH 551, PH 555, PH 575, PH 581, PH 585, PH 591, PH 595. The participant must earn a grade of at least B in each course of the 12 credits applied to both the baccalaureate and graduate degree programs.  Note that you must take the 500 level version of these courses for them to count toward both degrees.
  • Which students is AMP best for? Answer: The AMP program is for high-achieving students who are interested in research, and want to have a graduate degree.
  • Whom do the students contact for advising in AMP? Answer: potential AMP participants (close to satisfying the minimum coursework and GPA requirements for AMP) can discuss their questions with the Undergraduate Head Advisor or the Graduate Head Advisor.
  • Are there any restrictions on courses for the MS degree? Answer: YES, the OSU Graduate School requires that no more than 50% of courses used for a graduate program of study may be the 500-level component of a dual-listed course (4XX/5XX).  The MS degree requires at least 45 credits and the 12 credits in the AMP program are typically the 500-level component of a dual-listed course (4XX/5XX), in which case only 10 more credits of dual-listed courses would be allowed.
  • May an AMP participant take more than the 12 allowed graduate credits while an undergraduate?  Answer: YES, BUT.  The OSU Graduate School allows 15 credits of graduate courses taken as an undergraduate to transfer to a graduate degree, but the 12 AMP credits are in that same category.  So, an additonal 3 credits of graduate credits (beyond the 12 AMP credits) may be taken as an undergraduate and applied to the MS degree (but not to the BS degree).
  • Will I pay graduate or undergraduate tuition for the AMP graduate courses taken as an undergraduate? Answer: Undergraduate tuition.
  • How is financial aid affected by the AMP program? Answer: See the graduate school FAQs.
  • Am I eligible for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) or a Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) in the AMP program? Answer: While still an undergraduate student, you are not eligible for a GTA or a GRA.  While a graduate student, you are eligible for a GTA/GRA, but AMP students should not expect to receive a GTA/GRA, which are prioritized for Ph.D students.
  • Does the AMP program qualify me for the Ph.D. program?  Answer: NO.  Admission to the AMP program is distinct from admission to the Ph.D. program.  If you are interested in the Ph.D. program, you should apply for that program.